We love sharing easy snowman crafts for kids and using our snowman template means that this resist art snowman is easy for you to make at home with your child. It’s perfect as a simple winter or Christmas craft and uses a simple painting technique that can be easily adapted depending on what materials you have at home.
RELATED: Mosaic Snowman Craft for Kids
As well as the full instructions below I’ve also shared a little video to this page of how this craft was made to help give you a more visual idea of how it works.
What Is Resist Art
Resist art is basically where you use a material to stop paint colouring a certain area.
Common materials used are tape, paper, wax and glue.
In this case the paper is partially covered with a paper template to stop the paint going on a certain area so that the picture is created once it’s removed.
What Materials Can You Use For Resist Art?
To make this snowman craft you’ll obviously need some essential materials, white paper or card, paint and our snowman template.
What you choose to do the painting with though is up to you.
I’ve used tin foil as I think it’s a bit of an unusual painting material but it’s one that a lot of us have in a cupboard somewhere.
Not got any foil? How about using a sponge, pom poms, a toothbrush or a shower puff?
Free Snowman Template
Our snowman template is available as a free PDF for you.
Love free templates for kids crafts? We’ve got loads with ideas for every season – make sure you check them all out.
- Black, red and orange pen
- White and blue paint
- Reusable plate
- Washi tape
- 1 Free snowman template
- Kitchen foil
- 1 piece paper white
- Print out your snowman template (following the link in the post above)
- Colour in the snowman's hat.
- Cut out the snowman and his hat separately.
- Take a piece of washi tape and roll it to form a circle. Make a couple more of these and use them to stick your snowman's body onto your white piece of paper.
- Pour some coloured paint onto your reusable plate.
- Scrunch up some kitchen foil and dip it into the paint. Use this to then dab around your paper to colour in the background.
- Once you've finished painting remove the snowman template.
- Glue on the snowman's hat.
- Colour in your snowman's eyes, nose, mouth and scarf using coloured pens.
More Snowman Crafts for Kids
This pom pom printed snowman is really easy for kids to make.
This bubble wrap snowman craft was one I made with my kids and was a great way to get another use out of a material.