This easy pom pom printed snowman craft for kids would make a really simple winter art project or craft or you could use it to make an easy handmade Christmas card too!
It’s a great snowman craft for preschoolers and toddlers but it’s fun enough for school age kids too, it’s one that my kids certainly still like.
In this post I’ll be telling you how to make this easy winter craft as well as my tips for making it and some more ideas for easy snowman crafts for kids.
Easy Snowman Craft for Kids
This cute activity makes a great snowman craft for kids because it doesn’t matter if the ‘snow’ isn’t all perfectly lined up – after all who has ever managed to make a snowman without bits falling off here and there?! Plus any printed snow that’s on the page could be part of a little snow flurry.
Using pom poms is good for fine motor skills too and it’s easy to adapt if your child isn’t keen on getting their hands messy.
If you like this craft be sure to bookmark this page or pin an image so that you have it to hand when you need it or I’ve also added printable instructions if you’d like to make this craft without having your phone or laptop on while you craft.
About Pom Pom Printing
I love pom pom printed crafts just as a nice alternative to always grabbing a pen or paintbrush but they do have other benefits to them as well because of the pinching grip that your child needs to use.
Christie from MamaOT is an occupational therapist and has a really good post about the fine motor benefits of painting with pom poms and suggests an idea for where to put a paint pot that can help as a crossing the midline activity too.
If your child doesn’t like pinching pom poms to paint with (it can be a bit messy which some kids don’t like) you could adapt this craft by using a peg to hold the pom poms like we have with these Autumn tree painting ideas.
Snowman Craft Materials
- Coloured cardstock or paper for the background
- Coloured card or paper in orange, brown and red
- White paint
- Black marker pen
- Pom Pom
- Clothes peg (optional)
How To Make a Pom Pom Painted Snowman
Start by pouring your white paint into a reusable play or tray, this makes it easier to access. If you are using a clothes peg to hold your pom pom then it’s also good to get this set up in advance.
Dip your pom pom into the white paint and then use it to make the shape of your snowman and colour it in. You might find that it helps if you draw the two circle shapes for your snowman first using your pom poms before you colour in the middle of the shape. If you prefer you could also draw the outline of the snowman in using pencil.
Leave the painted snowman to dry.
Grab your scissors and cut a triangle shape out of orange card or paper and glue this onto your snowman to make his nose. As this craft uses small amounts of card and paper it’s a good one if you have any scrap paper around. I normally keep a supply for things like this.
Cut the scarf shape out of coloured paper or card, I’ve used red for this but you can obviously use whatever you have at home or whatever your child’s favourite colour is.
I’ve cut the scarf out as one piece but to make it easier you can cut out three rectangle shapes and stick them on to make the scarf shape – one going around the snowman’s neck and the two ends hanging down.
If you like you can also cut a fringe into the end of your snowman’s scarf by making small snips in the end with your scissors.
Cut out stick shapes from brown paper or cardstock to make your snowman’s arms and glue these on. The arm shapes are obviously a bit of a tricky shape so this is definitely a bit that grown ups might need to help more with. An alternative to this could be looking for sticks to glue on to make the arms. This would make it more like real snowman too!
Finally use a black marker pen to draw in your snowman’s eye’s and mouth.
Ways To Adapt Your Snowman Craft
- Use wool instead of paper or card to make the snowman’s scarf
- Use smaller pom poms or a q-tip (cotton bud) to print snow falling from the sky
- Make a hat for your snowman using coloured card or black card for a top hat
- Add snowflake stickers
- You could also use our snowman template if you would like an outline for your snowman
Pom Pom Printed Snowman Craft
- Pom pom
- Black marker
- White paint
- 1 piece Coloured card For the background
- 1 piece Orange card
- 1 piece Coloured card For the snowman's scarf
- 1 piece Coloured card Brown
- Pour white paint onto a plate, this makes it easier for your child to access.
- Grab a pom pom and dip it into the white paint and then dab it onto the card to make a snowman shape, slowly filling in all of the snowman's body
- Once the paint is dry cut a triangle out of orange card to make the snowman's nose and glue this on.
- Cut a scarf shape out of coloured card and glue this one (you could use three rectangle shapes to make it easier).
- Cut out stick shapes from brown card and glue these on for the snowman's arms.
- Draw dots for the snowman's eyes and mouth using a black marker pen.
More Snowman Crafts for Kids
We love this simple mosaic snowman craft for kids.
For a hands on craft using a material we love to play with try this scrunched paper snowman craft.
Like paper plate crafts? This snowman spinner twirls around and is great as a Christmas or winter decoration that you can hang up.