This easy cat craft is perfect for Halloween or for a pet theme, or if like my kids you just really like cats! It’s super simple to make with a printing technique that’s great for little hands.
For this craft I’ve painted the cat using a sponge. Sponges are great for little hands to hold and of course you can clean them afterwards so that they can be reused.
If your sponge is too big for your child’s hands then just cut it to size. The one I’ve used here was trimmed off the edge of a bath sponge and I know that I’ll find more uses for the rest of it – or of course if you are doing this with a group of children then one sponge cut up would make enough for a few kids to paint with!
No sponge? No problem. This craft is similar to our polar bear craft which uses pom poms instead to paint with. We often have a few of these left over from craft kids and they’re a great alternative as a craft material.
Easy Cat Craft
- Black paint
- Reusable plate
- Black pen
- White paper or card for the background
- Black, yellow and white paper or card for your cat's features
- Pour your black paint onto your reusable plate and dip your sponge into it.
- Using your sponge make a circle shape on your paper and fill it in by dabbing your painted sponge onto the paper. Of curse it doesn't matter if your circle isn't perfectly formed.
- Cut out strips of white paper or card.
- Glue these onto your cats face to make their whiskers.
- Cut the ear, nose and mouth shape out from black paper or card and two circles out of yellow paper or card for the eyes. Make a dot in both eyes using a black pen.
- Glue these onto your painted circle to finish your cat craft.
More Pet Crafts for Kids
This toilet roll dog craft is super cute, it was originally designed for Valentines Day but you can change the hearts to spots and it would still be just as cute (or keep the hearts because you love dogs!)
Grab a paper bowl (or a paper plate if that’s what you’ve got!) and make this sweet rabbit craft.
Yes, snakes can definitely be pets and my kids loved making this paper plate snake craft. There’s a kitten themed one there my daughter made too if you prefer something a bit more keeping on a cat topic!