Looking for Fathers Day cards for kids to make? This fish card is one of our most popular and it’s so easy to create!
While there are a lot of cute handmade Fathers Day card ideas out there I really struggled to find much that younger kids can do so I put my thinking cap on and came up with this cute fishing card.
Of course older kids can make it and below you’ll find some ideas about what they could do, but it’s been designed so that toddlers or preschoolers can have a go too. Either way it’s fantastic, or fin-tastic, your call.
Homemade Fathers Day Cards
I think that homemade cards make the best keepsakes and I know that lots of people agree. I genuinely remember some of the cards I made my parents when I was a kid and as I grew older I loved seeing it when they’d kept them and I’d find them hidden in a draw a few years later.
Now I’m a parent I like to try and keep some of the cards from my kids (not all of them I must confess, my youngest has been known to make 20 birthday cards at a time) and it’s really sweet when you find a homemade card a while later.
Fingerprint cards like this are also especially nice as it’s a sweet reminder of how small your child’s fingers once were!
Like this craft? Make sure that you bookmark this page or pin an image for later so that you don’t forget about it when it’s time for your kids to get creative.
If you love homemade cards then make sure to check out the rest of our DIY Fathers Day card ideas at the end of this post.
Fish Fathers Day Card Video Tutorial
I’ve made a quick video to show how I made this card below as I like to see how things have been made, but if you prefer to read instructions then you’ll find them below. I’ve speeded up the video to make it super quick to watch too!
Fishing Fathers Day Card
You could turn this into a Fathers Day fishing card by drawing a fishing line and hook onto the card if your child’s dad is into fishing.
- Black pen
- Coloured Paint
- Reusable plate
- White card
- Coloured card
- Googly eyes / white scrap paper
- Start by drawing a fish shape on to some coloured card, I originally tried to do the whole shape as one freehand but it didn’t look that fish-y? Instead I found it looked much better to draw a normal fish shape and then add the fins afterwards.
- Cut out your fish shape ready to decorate.
- Next colour in your fish, to make this Fathers Day card as kid friendly as I could I’ve gone for finger painting – which I also think makes it into a nice keepsake. To make your paints easier for your child to use I recommend pouring a little onto a reusable plate first.
- Make some eyes for your fish. I've glued on googly eyes but if you're trying to reduce the amount of plastic you use then cut out white circles from scrap paper and draw a black dot onto them to make the eyes instead.
- On your white card write ‘Dad, you’re fin-tastic’ (dad jokes for Fathers Day? Absolutely!) and then stick on your fish underneath.
Easy DIY Fathers Day Cards
Need more ideas? This fan card can be decorated by even really young kids.
This free printable Fathers Day card can be colored in by kids and has a cute rocket design.
Or how about this cute medal card?