Recently I’ve been looking for some Fathers Day cards that kids can make and while I’ve found a lot of cute ideas out there I really struggled to find much that younger kids can do so I put my thinking cap on and came up with this cute fish card. Of course older kids can make it and below you’ll find some ideas about what they could do, but it’s been designed so that toddlers or preschoolers can have a go too. Either way it’s fantastic, or fin-tastic, your call.
Homemade Fathers Day Cards
I think that homemade cards make the best keepsakes and I know that lots of people agree. I genuinely remember some of the cards I made my parents when I was a kid and as I grew older I loved seeing it when they’d kept them and I’d find them hidden in a draw a few years later! Now I’m a parent I like to try and keep some of the cards from my kids (not all of them I must confess, my youngest has been known to make 20 birthday cards at a time) and it’s really sweet when you find a homemade card a while later. Fingerprint cards like this are also especially nice as it’s a sweet reminder of how small your child’s fingers once were.
Like this craft? Make sure that you bookmark this page or pin an image for later so that you don’t forget about it when it’s time for your kids to get creative! You’ll also find some more ideas for easy homemade Fathers Day cards at the end of this post.
Fish Fathers Day Card Video Tutorial
I’ve made a quick video to show how I made this card below as I like to see how things have been made, but if you prefer to read instructions then you’ll find them below. I’ve speeded up the video to make it super quick to watch too!
Fish Fathers Day Card Kids Can Make
- Black pen
- Coloured Paint
- Reusable plate
- White card
- Coloured card
- Googly eyes / white scrap paper
- Start by drawing a fish shape on to some coloured card, I originally tried to do the whole shape as one freehand but it didn’t look that fish-y? Instead I found it looked much better to draw a normal fish shape and then add the fins afterwards.
- Cut out your fish shape ready to decorate.
- Next colour in your fish, to make this Fathers Day card as kid friendly as I could I’ve gone for finger painting – which I also think makes it into a nice keepsake. To make your paints easier for your child to use I recommend pouring a little onto a reusable plate first.
- Make some eyes for your fish. I've glued on googly eyes but if you're trying to reduce the amount of plastic you use then cut out white circles from scrap paper and draw a black dot onto them to make the eyes instead.
- On your white card write ‘Dad, you’re fin-tastic’ (dad jokes for Fathers Day? Absolutely!) and then stick on your fish underneath.
More Easy Fathers Day Cards
Need more ideas? This fan card can be decorated by even really young kids.
Or how about this cute medal card?
Finally why not try making this Batman pop up Fathers Day card, you can grab our template for the Batman and Robin logos too!