I’m a bit obsessed with making felt finger puppets and my latest one is no exception, this cute owl! I think that using a sewing machine can be a bit overwhelming to a lot of people, but this project only requires hand sewing and within a short time you can make this cute owl that would be a lovely toy for your kids or make a great gift for someone else!
Grey, white, orange and pink felt
Thread. I used a dark one for the feathers on the owls belly and an invisible one for the rest so I didn’t need to change too often. It also helps hide your stitches!
Needle and pins
How to make an Owl finger puppet
1. On the paper draw and then cut out two owl shapes. Put a pin in either side and make sure it will fit on your finger properly! If the size isn’t quite right then adjust it accordingly.
2. Using the template cut out two owl shapes from grey felt.
3. Using your paper templates, draw and then cut out two wings and a tummy, and some eyes for your owl. By using the paper template you can be sure that they will fit onto your finger puppet correctly. Cut the tummy, wings, eyes and a beak from your felt.
4. On the tummy shape sew some v shapes for the feathers. I did each stitch twice to ensure that it could be seen properly.
5. Sew the owls tummy onto the main body of the owl and then sew on the wings, eyes and beak. Always sew on the pieces first which need to be underneath (ie eyes before beak).
7. Attach the googly eyes using super glue.
8. Your owl is now finished and ready to play with. Hurray!
You may also like: