I might be biased but I think a story book advent calendar might be one of the nicest things you can give your kids. Your kids get all excited about Christmas, you get to have some time snuggling together reading Christmas stories and making memories and you have the start of a new Christmas tradition that you could do year after year. Today I’m sharing 24 ideas for books that you could include, with some classic children’s Christmas books and some new favourites to find.
Christmas Book Advent Calendar Ideas
*This post contains affiliate links*
Just so you’re aware, this is an old post but I’ve updated it and shared it again as it’s always so popular, having stories to read with the kids everyday is such a great tradition to build into your Christmas and a great way to get that magical feeling! We haven’t read all of these books, but we have read a lot of them and if we haven’t read them yet that’s because a lot of them are ones we have on order for this year or ones I know my kids will adore (Father Christmas Comes Up Trumps might get read all year round at ours?!) I’ve previously ordered some Christmas books from our local library but I also don’t mind buying a few new books each year as we do get a lot of use out of them – I think we read The Jolly Christmas Postman almost every week for a while this year because my daughter loves the letters and games in it so much!
Another book that my kids loved and have demanded we read again this year is How Winston Delivered Christmas which has a chapter for each night – perfect if you love the idea of a book advent calendar but aren’t sure if you’ll manage to find 24 of them!
Christmas books are also a great idea if you make a Christmas Eve box – just add some hot chocolate, pyjamas and a Christmas film ( we loved The Polar Express) and you’re good to go with that extra bit of Christmas magic.
As you can see, what we read can vary a lot round here, I’m always determined to read The Night Before Christmas but my children tend to be rather keen on anything that sounds a bit rude! Got a Christmas book you love that I’ve missed? Do share it in the comments below! Want to make sure you don’t forget this post? I know that in the run up to Christmas I’ve got about three zillion things I have to remember at any given point so make sure you don’t forget this post by bookmarking it or pinning the image below.
1 Stick Man by Julia Donaldson
2. Harry and the Dinosaurs Make a Christmas Wish by Ian Whybrow
3. The Night Before Christmas by Clement C Moore
4. Father Christmas Needs a Wee by Nicholas Allan
6. The Jolly Christmas Postman by Allan and Janet Ahlberg
7. Aliens Love Panta Claus by Claire Freedman
8. The Dinosaur That Pooped Christmas by Tom Fletcher and Dougie Poynter
10. How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr Seuss
11. The Empty Stocking by Richard Curtis
12. Lost and Found by Oliver Jeffers
14. Father Christmas by Raymond Briggs
15. That’s Not My Snowman by Fiona Watt
16. Santa Flap Book by Sam Taplin
17. My Very First Nativity Play by Lois Rock
18. The Christmas Bear by Ian Whybrow
19. Dear Santa by Rod Campbell
20. Elmer’s Christmas by David McKee
22. I Love You Father Christmas by Giles Andreae
24. Topsy and Tim Meet Father Christmas by Jean Adamson
Love making Christmas special with your kids? You might also like these: